Technical Issues

Application Process

Recruitment Criteria

Other Information

Career Progression, Salaries and Benefits


About the Singapore
Public Service

Migration to New Portal

Recruitment Criteria



Does the Public Service accept candidates from any discipline or do I have to specialise in a particular field?

The Public Service generally accepts candidates from all disciplines for generalist positions. However, for positions in specialised fields such as accountancy, legal and medical services, you will need to have a professional degree in the relevant field of study.

Is it true that the Public Service is interested in recruiting only fresh graduates?

We are interested in recruiting the best people for our jobs - be they fresh graduates or mid-career entrants. We consider the candidate's work experience, personalities, skills and other credentials during the selection process.

We are constantly on a look-out to recruit outstanding talent at all job levels, and we welcome mid-career candidates to share their wealth of experience and knowledge to provide a different perspective to the job issues and challenges.

Is it true that the Public Service only recruits graduates with excellent academic qualifications and/or scholars?

The Public Service offers a wide range of jobs with different requirements. Academic qualification is just one proxy for ability to do the job. We take into account other important factors such as relevant work experience, personal attributes and motivations, and commitment to public service. For a mid-career candidate, relevant work experience is a more important proxy than academic qualification for a good job fit.

How do I know whether my qualification is recognised for employment to the Public Service?

There is no central authority that assesses or accords recognition to degrees for employment into the Public Service. In general, degrees from universities accredited by the home government of the country where the university is located will be considered for appointment into the Public Service. This applies to degrees obtained full-time or part-time, through distance learning or twinning programmes etc. Each public service agency decides on the skills required for their respective jobs, and qualification may be one proxy for the required skills. For overseas professional qualifications, agencies will check whether these are recognised by the relevant professional bodies in Singapore.

What do I do if my education or employment institution is not in the list?

If you are unable to find your educational institution or employer in the 'Name of . . . .' list, after clicking the binocular icon, please check the 'Didn't find what you were looking for?' box and enter your educational institution's or employer's name.

Is there a minimum number of passes I need in order to declare GCE ‘A’ or ‘O’ Level as my highest educational qualification?

You can declare GCE ‘A’ or ‘O’ Level as your highest educational qualification as long as you have obtained the examination certificate. According to the Singapore Examinations and Assessment Board’s (SEAB) rules and regulations, candidates will be awarded a certificate if they obtain a pass in at least one examined subject. You may wish to visit the SEAB website for more details and the specific pass grades for each examination level.

  • facebook
  • linkedin
  • mail
  • link